Some 148m consumers will make NFC mobile payments this year, with Apple and Samsung accounting for nearly 70% of new customers, Juniper Research forecasts. “The research also anticipated that models based on host card emulation (HCE) would be widely deployed by banks and a number of leading OTT (Over The Top) players,” the firm says, predicting that NFC smartphones will be the main driver for contactless payments in the US owing to “the limited number of cards that currently offer the facility”.
- Startup tracks fine art provenance using NFC tags and blockchain registry
- iPhone XS packs chips for payments from NXP and ST
- Paytm to test face verification for payments in stores?
- Huami includes NFC for travelcards, payments and access control in $116 budget smartwatch
- Google Pay closes payments data sharing loophole