Some 148m consumers will make NFC mobile payments this year, with Apple and Samsung accounting for nearly 70% of new customers, Juniper Research forecasts. “The research also anticipated that models based on host card emulation (HCE) would be widely deployed by banks and a number of leading OTT (Over The Top) players,” the firm says, predicting that NFC smartphones will be the main driver for contactless payments in the US owing to “the limited number of cards that currently offer the facility”.
- Shell pilots RFID system that scans all the items in a shopping basket in one go
- Metro Bank lets customers open an account with a selfie
- Dutch banks ING and Rabobank begin QR code payments pilot
- ABN Amro pulls out of Dutch banks’ mobile payment venture
- Commonwealth Bank introduces chatbot that can answer 200 banking and payments questions