More than one billion transactions were processed through mobile money services globally in December 2015, the GSMA reveals, with registered accounts growing by nearly 100m — taking the total to 411m. “Mobile money is available in 85% of countries where most of the population lacks access to formal financial institutions,” the association says.
- Copenhagen Business School lets students make payments with just their finger — no card or smartphone required
- Contactless payments are now used for half of all public transport journeys in London
- Samsung Pay to go live in South Africa in June
- Walmart files blockchain payments data storage patents
- Card networks to co-develop single buy button for online transactions