More than one billion transactions were processed through mobile money services globally in December 2015, the GSMA reveals, with registered accounts growing by nearly 100m — taking the total to 411m. “Mobile money is available in 85% of countries where most of the population lacks access to formal financial institutions,” the association says.
- eMarketer: Mobile payments adoption held back by ‘strong contactless card usage’ in Europe
- Korean card companies to launch joint NFC payments service in bid to combat Chinese QR threat
- Wells Fargo puts AI into mobile app to help customers manage their money
- Apple CEO: Mobile payments taking off more slowly than expected
- Microsoft sets out vision for a blockchain-based infrastructure that lets consumers manage their own digital identities