Customers at upmarket UK supermarket chain Waitrose are trialling a ‘scan as you shop’ mobile app in three branches that lets them scan product barcodes on their phones as they place goods in their basket. “The trial is taking place in Waitrose shops in Clapham Common, Meanwood and Milngavie, with a view to rolling out the service to all Waitrose branches in 2016 if successful,” the company says. Waitrose began testing Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacons in its stores in May 2014.
- Fossil launches sports watch with NFC payments
- Veterans charity uses contactless cards to collect donations via NFC
- PNC Bank to offer dynamic CVV cards to commercial customers
- Singapore Post adds NFC tags to 15,000 mail boxes
- Google Pay goes live in the United Arab Emirates