Luxury watchmaker Swatch will focus its smartwatch activities on its plastic Swatch brand before considering the technology for its pricier models. “Making progress in the smartwatch market is crucial for Swatch, which is seen as the most vulnerable of the Swiss watchmakers to inroads by the Apple Watch and similar watches produced by Samsung Electronics and others,” The Wall Street Journal reports. The company launched its first NFC payments watch, the Swatch Bellamy, in China in October 2015.
- Tappy Christmas! Save the Children raises money with contactless jumpers
- Bayern Munich adds NFC ticketing for Apple users at Allianz Arena
- Barclays lets customers use their mobile banking app to restrict the type of stores their card can be used in
- Guess unveils fashion watches with contactless payment bands
- The world’s biggest electronics store uses NFC tags to let shoppers self-checkout on their mobile phones