Consumers will spend more than US$3.6trn using online, mobile and contactless payments services this year, up 20% from US$3trn in 2015, according to Juniper Research. “While cards will account for 90% of contactless payments over the next five years, the deployment of NFC payments by high-profile players such as Apple and Samsung would increase consumer awareness and usage of smartphones to fulfil transactions,” the firm says.
- Chinese province uses Alipay QR codes for citizen ID
- Facebook to launch Messenger payments in India
- Walmart equips garden centre staff with mobile checkout devices
- Chevrolet and Shell let drivers pay for fuel and access offers from their vehicles
- US supermarket chain Meijer to launch mobile self-checkout service