Chinese internet giant Tencent has reported that the number of monthly active users (MAU) of its mobile payments services has increased by seven times over the last year. Its QQ Wallet was used to exchange 6bn red envelopes during the Lunar New Year holidays and Weixin Pay was used to exchange 32bn red envelopes over the same period, up nine times on a year ago. “For Weixin and WeChat together, MAU reached 697 million at the end of 2015, representing YoY growth of 39%,” Tencent says.
- EBA issues opinion on strong customer authentication requirements under PSD2
- Eurosmart reports rise in smartphones with embedded secure elements
- Mastercard unveils smart mirror that lets shoppers make payments in the fitting room
- WhatsApp tests mobile payments with one million consumers in India
- Popularity of contactless payments pushes debit cards ahead of cash in the UK