Chinese internet giant Tencent has reported that the number of monthly active users (MAU) of its mobile payments services has increased by seven times over the last year. Its QQ Wallet was used to exchange 6bn red envelopes during the Lunar New Year holidays and Weixin Pay was used to exchange 32bn red envelopes over the same period, up nine times on a year ago. “For Weixin and WeChat together, MAU reached 697 million at the end of 2015, representing YoY growth of 39%,” Tencent says.
- Google Pay goes live in Italy
- Pulse reports on US uptake of mobile debit card payments
- Bank of America brings mobile payments to business card customers
- OP Financial tests face recognition for payments in stores
- Singapore begins rollout of QR code that works with multiple mobile payment schemes