Contactless technology was built into 56% of all smart cards shipped globally excluding the Americas in 2015, up from 42% in 2014, the Smart Payment Association reports. “53% of all cards shipped in Europe were contactless, while in the Asia Pacific region, an impressive 74% of cards featured contactless technologies,” says the association. Approximately 2.6bn chip payment cards were shipped around the world last year, with 570m shipped to the US — a two-fold increase on 2014 — and a 27% growth in shipments in China.
- Consumers to personalise makeup and perfume with electronic ink and NFC packaging
- Next iPhone to include facial or gesture recognition?
- Test for European Central Bank mobile P2P platform
- India to rank states on digital transactions
- HSBC to launch Hong Kong P2P mobile payments app