Contactless technology was built into 56% of all smart cards shipped globally excluding the Americas in 2015, up from 42% in 2014, the Smart Payment Association reports. “53% of all cards shipped in Europe were contactless, while in the Asia Pacific region, an impressive 74% of cards featured contactless technologies,” says the association. Approximately 2.6bn chip payment cards were shipped around the world last year, with 570m shipped to the US — a two-fold increase on 2014 — and a 27% growth in shipments in China.
- Swatch brings its contactless payments service to Europe
- Chinese shopping street adopts face recognition payments
- TD Ameritrade leverages Apple Pay to let share buyers use debit cards to instantly fund their brokerage accounts
- NFC Forum unveils technical specification that lets IoT devices use a single antenna for both NFC and wireless charging
- Russian supermarket chain rolls out open loop fingerprint payments service