UK contactless payments in March totalled £1.5bn (US$2.19bn), The UK Cards Association has revealed, four months after monthly contactless spending hit £1bn in November 2015. “The £0.5bn mark came in May last year,” the organisation says. “One in seven of all card transactions are now contactless, compared to one in 16 a year ago. There were a total of 179.6m contactless purchases in March, with 67 made every second. On the high street, one in six card purchases are now contactless [with] monthly contactless spending trebling in the past year, up from £431.1m in March 2015.” 86.5m contactless cards are now in circulation in the UK.
- India to rank states on digital transactions
- HSBC to launch Hong Kong P2P mobile payments app
- Indian mobile wallet adds healthcare services
- Singapore commuters to get NFC-enabled transport payment wearables
- Call to ‘digitise Indian rupee’ using blockchain