More than 25% of US smartphone owners make use of mobile payment apps at least once a month, research from Parks Associates reveals. “More than 3m retailers combined accept Apple Pay and Android Pay, but consumers currently prefer retailer-specific apps such as the Starbucks payment app,” the firm says. “The most dominant payment app is currently PayPal, which is used by one in five smartphone owners.” Retail branded apps take second place, followed by Google Wallet/Android Pay and Apple Pay in third.
- NFC Forum launches tag certification program
- Students test finger vein payments at UK supermarket
- Hilton lets customers pay with points for Amazon purchases
- Apple releases iOS 11 with support for NFC tag reading
- Bank of England examines the technical requirements of central bank-issued digital currencies