More than 25% of US smartphone owners make use of mobile payment apps at least once a month, research from Parks Associates reveals. “More than 3m retailers combined accept Apple Pay and Android Pay, but consumers currently prefer retailer-specific apps such as the Starbucks payment app,” the firm says. “The most dominant payment app is currently PayPal, which is used by one in five smartphone owners.” Retail branded apps take second place, followed by Google Wallet/Android Pay and Apple Pay in third.
- Chinese province uses Alipay QR codes for citizen ID
- Facebook to launch Messenger payments in India
- Walmart equips garden centre staff with mobile checkout devices
- Chevrolet and Shell let drivers pay for fuel and access offers from their vehicles
- US supermarket chain Meijer to launch mobile self-checkout service