UK railway operator Chiltern Railways is to pilot an automatic fare payment system to detect when a passenger boards a train and exits a station. The initiative will utilize smartphones and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacons, the company confirmed to NFC World, and deduct fees from passenger bank accounts when journeys are completed. The trial is expected to begin in December 2016.
- Garmin Pay expands to three new smartwatches
- Barclays files blockchain funds transfer and KYC patents
- More than half a billion Chinese consumers now use mobile payments
- Mastercard patent proposes combining blockchain with existing payments systems
- Shoppers prefer Apple Pay over Walmart Pay