UK repair shop Byte has conducted a teardown of the Apple Watch 2 device, revealing an NFC chip incorporated in its display. “What appears to be the touchscreen controllers are sandwiched between the NFC chip on one side and capacitors on the other, a build that differs from the first generation devices,” MacRumors reports. “It’s not clear why NFC has been relocated to the display assembly, but it may save some internal space.” More details may be unveiled at Apple’s annual iPhone event at 5pm GMT on 7 September.
- Meet NFC World partners at Seamless Middle East
- Goode reports on growth of biometric authentication
- 3.4bn phones will support Apple Pay, Android Pay and Samsung Pay by year end
- Apple to launch P2P payments and debit card this year?
- Guide introduces how Android Pay works