UK repair shop Byte has conducted a teardown of the Apple Watch 2 device, revealing an NFC chip incorporated in its display. “What appears to be the touchscreen controllers are sandwiched between the NFC chip on one side and capacitors on the other, a build that differs from the first generation devices,” MacRumors reports. “It’s not clear why NFC has been relocated to the display assembly, but it may save some internal space.” More details may be unveiled at Apple’s annual iPhone event at 5pm GMT on 7 September.
- Mastercard to make Apple Card technology available to other issuers
- Facebook to roll out GlobalCoin digital currency in ‘a dozen countries’ next year
- iPhone NFC ticketing goes live at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium
- India sets out plans for a cash-lite society
- Monese teases Apple Pay launches in 13 European countries