UK repair shop Byte has conducted a teardown of the Apple Watch 2 device, revealing an NFC chip incorporated in its display. “What appears to be the touchscreen controllers are sandwiched between the NFC chip on one side and capacitors on the other, a build that differs from the first generation devices,” MacRumors reports. “It’s not clear why NFC has been relocated to the display assembly, but it may save some internal space.” More details may be unveiled at Apple’s annual iPhone event at 5pm GMT on 7 September.
- Google Pay goes live in Italy
- Pulse reports on US uptake of mobile debit card payments
- Bank of America brings mobile payments to business card customers
- OP Financial tests face recognition for payments in stores
- Singapore begins rollout of QR code that works with multiple mobile payment schemes