Ecobank customers in Nigeria will soon be able to make in-store payments by scanning a QR code using their mobile phone or entering a merchant identifier into their feature phone. The bank has worked with Mastercard to launch the Ecobank Masterpass QR service, an enhancement to the Masterpass digital payment platform. It will enable “millions of micro, small and medium enterprises in Nigeria to accept fast and secure digital payments from consumers for the first time,” Mastercard says. Ecobank plans to introduce Ecobank Masterpass QR to 34 other markets.
- Amazon begins delivering parcels to consumers’ cars
- Copenhagen Business School lets students make payments with just their finger — no card or smartphone required
- Contactless payments are now used for half of all public transport journeys in London
- Samsung Pay to go live in South Africa in June
- Walmart files blockchain payments data storage patents