Mobile network operator MTN has discontinued its Mobile Money service in South Africa due to “lack of commercial viability” following its launch in 2012. “The operating costs of providing a mobile money platform have become prohibitive,” says Larry Annetts, chief consumer officer at MTN South Africa. “The decision by MTN SA to shelve its mobile money service does not signify a complete exit from financial services — we are exploring opportunities in the financial services space and other adjacent sectors.”
- Meet NFC World’s partners at Mobile World Congress
- Survey: India now has a higher percentage of citizens with a mobile wallet than China
- Alipay users sent red packets worth $79m during Chinese New Year
- Apple Pay users doubled in 2017 to 127m, says top analyst
- Six more Amazon Go stores to open this year?