Mastercard has launched a pilot program with the American Red Cross to use Mastercard Send to distribute funds to families in Indonesia via their mobile phones to buy water and other items during the drought season. A mobile wallet provided by mobile network operator Indosat Ooredoo allows people to receive funds. “Our goal is to provide an innovative service that enables humanitarian and development organisations to distribute funds efficiently and digitally,” says Mastercard’s Shari Krikorian.
- eMarketer: Mobile payments adoption held back by ‘strong contactless card usage’ in Europe
- Korean card companies to launch joint NFC payments service in bid to combat Chinese QR threat
- Wells Fargo puts AI into mobile app to help customers manage their money
- Apple CEO: Mobile payments taking off more slowly than expected
- Microsoft sets out vision for a blockchain-based infrastructure that lets consumers manage their own digital identities