Mastercard has launched a pilot program with the American Red Cross to use Mastercard Send to distribute funds to families in Indonesia via their mobile phones to buy water and other items during the drought season. A mobile wallet provided by mobile network operator Indosat Ooredoo allows people to receive funds. “Our goal is to provide an innovative service that enables humanitarian and development organisations to distribute funds efficiently and digitally,” says Mastercard’s Shari Krikorian.
- Apple extends GymKit NFC functionality to additional gym equipment market leaders
- NFC testing disruptor Cilab joins the NFC World Partner Program
- Japanese government to adopt iPhone NFC chip reading for citizen ID
- Imperial College develops NFC tag-based freshness detection system to reduce food waste
- European mobile wallets adopt Alipay QR code format to boost payment interoperability