Japanese IT giant NEC is holding trials with banks and credit card companies to deploy facial recognition systems for payments, IT Wire reports. Such systems could be in public use by late 2017. Dr Hitoshi Imaoka from NEC told visitors to the iExpo exhibition in Tokyo there were still problems of accuracy to be overcome, including how to use the technology as people age.
- Chinese province uses Alipay QR codes for citizen ID
- Facebook to launch Messenger payments in India
- Walmart equips garden centre staff with mobile checkout devices
- Chevrolet and Shell let drivers pay for fuel and access offers from their vehicles
- US supermarket chain Meijer to launch mobile self-checkout service