Japanese IT giant NEC is holding trials with banks and credit card companies to deploy facial recognition systems for payments, IT Wire reports. Such systems could be in public use by late 2017. Dr Hitoshi Imaoka from NEC told visitors to the iExpo exhibition in Tokyo there were still problems of accuracy to be overcome, including how to use the technology as people age.
- Thinfilm raises US$110m to support growth in NFC market
- Facebook Messenger adds PayPal P2P payments
- Mastercard to eliminate signature verification at the point of sale
- The Clearing House to secure real-time payments system with tokenization
- Visa makes it easier to integrate emerging authentication technologies