Four students from India’s Birla Institute of Technology and Science have developed an SMS-based biometric authentication system for use in rural areas with poor internet connection. The team has developed an Android app to allow fingerprint scans to be taken and then turned into an encrypted, numeric code which can be sent by a simple SMS message. The team’s idea won the grand prize in the Accenture Innovation Jockeys 5 competition earlier this month.
- NFC mobile payments roll out in Saudi Arabia
- VTB switches on Huawei Pay at retail outlets across Russia
- P2P payments gain acceptance across all US age groups
- Malibu adds NFC tags to 300,000 bottles for ‘Because Summer’ campaign
- Mastercard and Worldpay to let merchants accept payments direct from customers’ bank accounts