Four students from India’s Birla Institute of Technology and Science have developed an SMS-based biometric authentication system for use in rural areas with poor internet connection. The team has developed an Android app to allow fingerprint scans to be taken and then turned into an encrypted, numeric code which can be sent by a simple SMS message. The team’s idea won the grand prize in the Accenture Innovation Jockeys 5 competition earlier this month.
- Alipay and UnionPay to support Japanese J-Coin digital currency
- ETSI mandates hardware security for consumer IoT devices
- Swiss railway operator SBB to roll out account-based mobile ticketing
- EU sets out plans for contactless European identity cards
- SK Telecom and Deutsche Telekom to build blockchain-based digital ID platform