More than one billion online and offline transactions were made through Alipay at this year’s Singles’ Day Shopping Gala, an increase of 48% from 2015, with the peak number of transactions standing at 120,000 in a single second. Gross merchandise volume (GMV) through the mobile payments platform was US$14.6bn, about 82% of total GMV, compared to 69% last year “Peak transactions enabled with banks around the world were 54,000 transactions per second, two times last year’s peak,” Alipay parent company Ant Financial says.
- Free Galaxy S7 offer for Samsung Pay’s UAE launch
- Chinese third-party payment providers face client cash regulation
- Tesco rolls out mobile payments service across UK
- Rail passengers pilot Bluetooth and geolocation service for ticket-free travel
- Chinese to get cash using face recognition ATMs