Indian mobile wallet provider MobiKwik says it is ready to serve 300m users, up from its current 35m customer base, in the wake of the government’s withdrawal of Rs 500 (US$7) and Rs 1,000 ($14) notes from circulation. A spokesman says it has registered 18 times growth in transactions since the announcement of demonetisation earlier this month and is gearing up to accept 100m daily transactions. Mobile financial solutions provider Mahindra Comviva told NFC World demonetisation would make mobile payments the “de-facto payment mode” in India.
- Google Pay goes live in Italy
- Pulse reports on US uptake of mobile debit card payments
- Bank of America brings mobile payments to business card customers
- OP Financial tests face recognition for payments in stores
- Singapore begins rollout of QR code that works with multiple mobile payment schemes