Mastercard has launched its biometric Identity Check Mobile service in Brazil and Mexico, the payments giant has confirmed. The service allows cardholders to authenticate online payments by scanning their fingerprint or by taking a selfie. The Latin America rollout comes after “trials in the Netherlands, the US and Canada found consumers preferred biometrics to authenticate payments”, Mastercard adds. The service became available to US financial institutions in 2016, with a global expansion expected to increase in 2017.
- Masterpass QR expands to merchants across Sub-Saharan Africa
- Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus to support Bluetooth 5
- HSBC and First Direct join Pay by Bank app
- Apple Pay in-store adoption is “growing nicely”
- Apple details Touch ID and PC-to-phone payment security features