PARTNER NEWS: The electronic passport could soon become a “virtual mobile identity” that will allow owners to interact with and authenticate applications, as well as send credentials to other electronic devices using NFC smartphones and wearables, according to NXP. “The ePassport is evolving from just being a travel document to being a government-issued root credential for other applications, including a virtual mobile identity,” the company says. NXP has identified virtual mobile identity as one of three “distinct” global trends for electronic passports, along with increasing functionality and stronger security.
- Mastercard to make Apple Card technology available to other issuers
- Facebook to roll out GlobalCoin digital currency in ‘a dozen countries’ next year
- iPhone NFC ticketing goes live at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium
- India sets out plans for a cash-lite society
- Monese teases Apple Pay launches in 13 European countries