The UK city of Liverpool has launched its own digital currency using blockchain technology supplied by Tel-Aviv-based digital wallet provider Colu. The Liverpool Local Pound (LLP) is available through Colu’s app. Users can top it up using a credit card and will receive five free LLPs when signing up, equalling £5 (US$6). “Transactions happen at the swipe of a finger and the money is transferred between accounts immediately,” The Telegraph reports.
- Dogs aim to take Blue Cross canal walk donations
- Accumulated payments with Samsung Pay surpass W10tn
- Contactless to account for more than one in two POS transactions globally by 2022
- Face ID described as iPhone 8’s ‘crown jewel’, unlocking device in ‘a few hundred milliseconds’
- From the high street to the handset: How banks can stay connected to consumers in the smartphone era