The UK city of Liverpool has launched its own digital currency using blockchain technology supplied by Tel-Aviv-based digital wallet provider Colu. The Liverpool Local Pound (LLP) is available through Colu’s app. Users can top it up using a credit card and will receive five free LLPs when signing up, equalling £5 (US$6). “Transactions happen at the swipe of a finger and the money is transferred between accounts immediately,” The Telegraph reports.
- Australian banks set to abandon Apple Pay boycott
- Tappy Christmas! Save the Children raises money with contactless jumpers
- Bayern Munich adds NFC ticketing for Apple users at Allianz Arena
- Barclays lets customers use their mobile banking app to restrict the type of stores their card can be used in
- Guess unveils fashion watches with contactless payment bands