Interactive Research & Development's medical system and VTT Technical Research Centre's social networking concept picked up first place prizes in the NFC Forum's Global Competition.
The winners of this year's NFC Forum Global Competition have been announced. First, second, and third-place winners in a Commercial Track and a Research Track were chosen by a jury of academics and industry professionals from a shortlist of 20 finalists.
In the Commercial Track:
- First place was given to Interactive Research & Development of Pakistan, for its Interactive Alerts for Childhood Pneumonia system, a real-time patient tracking and referral system for use in low-resource settings. The system is currently being used for a pneumonia surveillance study for young children in Karachi, Pakistan.
- Second place went to German firm Servtag for Friendticker.com, an NFC-based mobile social ticker that allows users to share their geographical location with friends by touching Friendticker NFC stickers in restaurants and bars.
- Third place went to Nordea for its NFC-based strong end-user authentication solution for online banking, which enables secure access to an online banking site via an NFC-enabled handset and a dual-interface bank card.
And in the Research Track:
- First place went to Finland's VTT Technical Research Centre for Hot in the City, a mobile social media service that uses NFC-enabled mobile phones as a friend connection platform.
- Second place went to the University of Ljubljana (Slovenia), Faculty of Electrical Engineering for Touch to Communicate, which allows a consumer who has difficulty communicating to manage phone calls with a simple touch between a mobile device and passive electronic tags.
- Third place went to ETH Zurich for the APriori NFC-based mobile application, which supports consumer purchasing decisions by interacting with tagged products to deliver point-of-sale product ratings.