Gemalto has signed a deal with Sony that will see it adding support for Sony’s FeliCa contactless card technology to its new Upteq NFC SIM technology. FeliCa chips are embedded in 346 million cards and 170 million mobile phones, including Japan’s Osaifu-Keitai mobile wallet service which is switching to NFC, “Through this agreement, we aim to collaborate closely with Gemalto to develop globally compliant solutions for the growing NFC market,” says Sony’s Izumi Kawanishi.
- PBoC reports on China mobile payments market
- Blockchain NFC start-up focuses on expansion after $10m funding
- Contactless festival payments up 33%
- One in four use mobile wallets in Singapore
- Indian bank offers sound-based contactless payments