Gemalto has signed a deal with Sony that will see it adding support for Sony's FeliCa contactless card technology to its new Upteq NFC SIM technology. FeliCa chips are embedded in 346 million cards and 170 million mobile phones, including Japan's Osaifu-Keitai mobile wallet service which is switching to NFC, "Through this agreement, we aim to collaborate closely with Gemalto to develop globally compliant solutions for the growing NFC market," says Sony's Izumi Kawanishi.
- Isis considers HCE as monthly growth hits 50%
- New EMV framework to support NFC, QR, Bluetooth LE and more
- Smartrac to seed Internet of Things platform with 1.5bn tags a year
- NXP to demo NFC national ID app
- MeaWallet to launch mobile payments platform that supports NFC, BLE and QR