Gemalto has signed a deal with Sony that will see it adding support for Sony's FeliCa contactless card technology to its new Upteq NFC SIM technology. FeliCa chips are embedded in 346 million cards and 170 million mobile phones, including Japan's Osaifu-Keitai mobile wallet service which is switching to NFC, "Through this agreement, we aim to collaborate closely with Gemalto to develop globally compliant solutions for the growing NFC market," says Sony's Izumi Kawanishi.
- ICS picks Aconite for NFC
- Zwipe raises US$3.5m for NFC and fingerprint ID card
- Qualcomm announces 4G Snapdragon chipsets with NFC
- Chrome OS to get NFC unlock?
- French firm sues HTC and LG for NFC patent infringement