Gemalto has signed a deal with Sony that will see it adding support for Sony's FeliCa contactless card technology to its new Upteq NFC SIM technology. FeliCa chips are embedded in 346 million cards and 170 million mobile phones, including Japan's Osaifu-Keitai mobile wallet service which is switching to NFC, "Through this agreement, we aim to collaborate closely with Gemalto to develop globally compliant solutions for the growing NFC market," says Sony's Izumi Kawanishi.
- Adidas adds NFC to running shoes
- Czech firm releases universal NFC ID system
- Alfa-Bank to pilot NFC payments in Russia and the Ukraine
- Verizon and Discover join the NFC Forum
- Musemini trio gets NFC pairing