Upmarket UK supermarket chain Waitrose is working on a new app that will use Bluetooth LE beacons to welcome customers to its stores and push promotional messages to shoppers. A mobile payments app to replace Waitrose’s existing QuickCheck self-scanning service is also under development, along with a barcode scanning option that would allow customers to read reviews and get more information about individual items.
- HKT launches NFC mobile payments service in Hong Kong
- Wearable payments to reach $501bn by 2020
- OneBit tests Bitcoin payments via NFC
- US shoppers buying into mobile payments
- Square ‘files for public offering’