A total of 450million contactless cards, twice the number produced in 2012, were shipped in 2013 by members of the Smart Payment Association, a group that accounts for 85% of the market. Some 37% of all payment cards shipped in the year included contactless functionality while the number of dual-interface cards, which accounted for 94% of contactless shipments in 2013, grew 115%. The Asia Pacific region saw the highest growth at 193%, followed by 64% in Europe and 45% in the Americas.
- O2 buys out Weve partners and drops mobile payment plans
- “iPad Pro” to include NFC?
- Qualcomm and NXP team up for NFC on Snapdragon platforms
- NFC gets top marks for helping Barcelona kids get to school
- Apple Watch carries NFC components from NXP and AMS