Some 417bn cashless payments were made in 60 countries worldwide in 2014, according to research from RBR. “These are increasing at only a slightly faster rate than the number of ATM cash withdrawals, suggesting that cash is still favoured as a means of payment for a significant proportion of the global population,” RBR says. “Cards are by far the most common and fastest growing cashless means of payment, making up more than half of such transactions worldwide.”
- Apple Pay arriving in Germany?
- Chicago mobile ticket app hits 1m downloads
- Dubai bus passengers to get hands-free smart ticketing
- Visa works on blockchain B2B payment system
- Pizza Hut offers NFC tattoos that let customers order favourite takeaway