UK contactless payments in March totalled £1.5bn (US$2.19bn), The UK Cards Association has revealed, four months after monthly contactless spending hit £1bn in November 2015. “The £0.5bn mark came in May last year,” the organisation says. “One in seven of all card transactions are now contactless, compared to one in 16 a year ago. There were a total of 179.6m contactless purchases in March, with 67 made every second. On the high street, one in six card purchases are now contactless [with] monthly contactless spending trebling in the past year, up from £431.1m in March 2015.” 86.5m contactless cards are now in circulation in the UK.
- 600m mobile devices to include biometrics by 2021
- ANZ could offer mortgages through Apple Pay
- Mastercard and Verifone unveil Instalments payments app
- Austrian bank deploys NFC-ready ATMs
- Apple Pay launches in Spain