The Android Developers Guide now has a new section dedicated to near field communication technology.
The updated guide gives developers looking to create NFC applications an overview of the technology and the API plus details on:
- Declaring Android Manifest elements.
- The tag dispatch system.
- NDEF messages.
- Reading an NFC tag.
- Writing to an NFC tag.
- Peer-to-peer data exchange.
The addition of this new section in the guide follows the release of Android 2.3.3 last month. This introduced:
- A comprehensive NFC reader/writer API that lets apps read and write to almost any standard NFC tag in use today.
- Advanced intent dispatching that gives apps more control over how/when they are launched when an NFC tag comes into range.
- Some limited support for peer-to-peer connection with other NFC devices.