Dublin-based Zapa Technology has appointed a provisional liquidator, according to the Irish Times. The NFC retail payments and rewards specialist, which continues to trade while a buyer is sought, owes €700,000 to creditors and has been unable to obtain funding to extend its Zapa Tag system. Zapa is the second high-profile proprietary NFC payments system to run into trouble this year, after Bling Nation suspended its US operations in June.
- East London gets local currency built on the blockchain
- Harris Poll: PayPal leads mobile payment brands, yet up-and-comers making brand equity gains
- MTN Benin and Youtap launch MoMoPay contactless payments for MTN Benin Mobile Money customers
- Meet NFC World partners at Money20/20 Europe
- Mastercard and Western Union explore digital model for refugee camps