Dublin-based Zapa Technology has appointed a provisional liquidator, according to the Irish Times. The NFC retail payments and rewards specialist, which continues to trade while a buyer is sought, owes €700,000 to creditors and has been unable to obtain funding to extend its Zapa Tag system. Zapa is the second high-profile proprietary NFC payments system to run into trouble this year, after Bling Nation suspended its US operations in June.
- Apple adds support for Express Card NFC transactions that work even when an iPhone’s battery is almost flat
- Apple updates Core NFC to allow NFC tags to be read without opening an app
- Rambus gets Visa Ready certification for its ecommerce token gateway
- Mobile contactless payment volumes to rise by 30% a year to 2022
- French football club to launch its own cryptocurrency