Gemalto has signed a deal with Sony that will see it adding support for Sony’s FeliCa contactless card technology to its new Upteq NFC SIM technology. FeliCa chips are embedded in 346 million cards and 170 million mobile phones, including Japan’s Osaifu-Keitai mobile wallet service which is switching to NFC, “Through this agreement, we aim to collaborate closely with Gemalto to develop globally compliant solutions for the growing NFC market,” says Sony’s Izumi Kawanishi.
- Apple adds support for Express Card NFC transactions that work even when an iPhone’s battery is almost flat
- Apple updates Core NFC to allow NFC tags to be read without opening an app
- Rambus gets Visa Ready certification for its ecommerce token gateway
- Mobile contactless payment volumes to rise by 30% a year to 2022
- French football club to launch its own cryptocurrency