Gemalto has signed a deal with Sony that will see it adding support for Sony’s FeliCa contactless card technology to its new Upteq NFC SIM technology. FeliCa chips are embedded in 346 million cards and 170 million mobile phones, including Japan’s Osaifu-Keitai mobile wallet service which is switching to NFC, “Through this agreement, we aim to collaborate closely with Gemalto to develop globally compliant solutions for the growing NFC market,” says Sony’s Izumi Kawanishi.
- NFC Forum launches tag certification program
- Students test finger vein payments at UK supermarket
- Hilton lets customers pay with points for Amazon purchases
- Apple releases iOS 11 with support for NFC tag reading
- Bank of England examines the technical requirements of central bank-issued digital currencies