Gemalto has signed a deal with Sony that will see it adding support for Sony’s FeliCa contactless card technology to its new Upteq NFC SIM technology. FeliCa chips are embedded in 346 million cards and 170 million mobile phones, including Japan’s Osaifu-Keitai mobile wallet service which is switching to NFC, “Through this agreement, we aim to collaborate closely with Gemalto to develop globally compliant solutions for the growing NFC market,” says Sony’s Izumi Kawanishi.
- Japanese bank plans new biometrics firm
- Boon launches in France for Apple Pay users
- Mobile marketplace offers African farmers promise of richer, cashless harvest
- US bank backs top five mobile payment services
- Mobile payments market worth $3,338bn by 2022