Upmarket UK supermarket chain Waitrose is working on a new app that will use Bluetooth LE beacons to welcome customers to its stores and push promotional messages to shoppers. A mobile payments app to replace Waitrose’s existing QuickCheck self-scanning service is also under development, along with a barcode scanning option that would allow customers to read reviews and get more information about individual items.
- Monzo launches instant Google Pay provisioning
- Qantas uses NFC to pre-enrol passengers for biometric boarding service
- Moooi adds NFC tags to its designer furniture to guarantee authenticity
- L’Oréal launches wearable sensor that uses NFC to alert iPhone users to the risk of sun damage to their skin
- Swiss banks face mobile payments boycott investigation