Upmarket UK supermarket chain Waitrose is working on a new app that will use Bluetooth LE beacons to welcome customers to its stores and push promotional messages to shoppers. A mobile payments app to replace Waitrose’s existing QuickCheck self-scanning service is also under development, along with a barcode scanning option that would allow customers to read reviews and get more information about individual items.
- Apple to open up the iPhone’s NFC chip at WWDC?
- Alipay to invest $448m promoting face recognition payments in stores
- Visa unveils next generation payments platform
- German central banker calls for European payments network
- JCPenney pulls support for contactless payments