US mobile payments provider Square is pulling out of the consumer mobile wallet business and its Square Wallet app is no longer available to new customers to download. “Square Wallet provided a very magical experience but didn’t have a lot of the utility value,” Square’s Ajit Varma has told Recode. The company continues to serve merchants, however, and has launched a new click and collect service called Square Order that lets customers place orders with small merchants for collection at a later date or time.
- Shoppers prefer Apple Pay over Walmart Pay
- Manhattan skyscraper secures fire safety system with tamper-evident NFC tags
- NFC mobile payments roll out in Saudi Arabia
- VTB switches on Huawei Pay at retail outlets across Russia
- P2P payments gain acceptance across all US age groups