US mobile payments provider Square is pulling out of the consumer mobile wallet business and its Square Wallet app is no longer available to new customers to download. “Square Wallet provided a very magical experience but didn’t have a lot of the utility value,” Square’s Ajit Varma has told Recode. The company continues to serve merchants, however, and has launched a new click and collect service called Square Order that lets customers place orders with small merchants for collection at a later date or time.
- Amazon gets approval for digital wallet in India
- Orange to launch mobile-only bank with NFC payments and AI
- Bank of Korea signs up retailers for coinless society trial
- Six Dutch banks to take Belgium’s Payconiq to the Netherlands
- NXP and GCL Technologies offer NFC tamper evident closure solution for wine and spirits brands