Version 8.1 of iOS is now available for download, and brings with it the US consumer rollout of the Apple Pay mobile payments system. Apple Pay’s NFC payment capability is available to US-based owners of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus handsets and can be used at 220,000 stores nationwide that accept contactless payments. Last week Apple revealed that 500 banks have now signed up to offer the service to their customers.
- UnionPay promotes mobile payments adoption with discounts at merchants around the world
- UK government to use NFC to verify residency status of EU citizens after Brexit
- Antelop adds Visa Token Service certification to its white label mobile wallet platform for banks and card issuers
- Dubai’s Atlantis resort installs blockchain-based payments system for guests
- Car manufacturers back NFC for digital keys