“Anyone working on NFC is focusing on last century’s problem,” Patrick Gauthier, the new vice president of payments at Amazon, has told Mashable in an interview in which he also indicates that he believes competitors in the mobile payments space — including Apple and Google — have “lost sight of what it is we’re here to do.” Until January, Gauthier headed up emerging retail services at PayPal, a company once anti-NFC which now appears to have changed its mind about the technology.
- Rambus forecasts omnichannel tokenization and ‘merchant pay’ as key trends for 2018
- Australia’s central bank explores the issue of electronic banknotes
- Gemalto rejects Atos’ bid to acquire it for €4.3bn
- Nordea switches on its open banking platform
- Ford gets patent for smartphone key case