“Anyone working on NFC is focusing on last century’s problem,” Patrick Gauthier, the new vice president of payments at Amazon, has told Mashable in an interview in which he also indicates that he believes competitors in the mobile payments space — including Apple and Google — have “lost sight of what it is we’re here to do.” Until January, Gauthier headed up emerging retail services at PayPal, a company once anti-NFC which now appears to have changed its mind about the technology.
- Japanese bank plans new biometrics firm
- Boon launches in France for Apple Pay users
- Mobile marketplace offers African farmers promise of richer, cashless harvest
- US bank backs top five mobile payment services
- Mobile payments market worth $3,338bn by 2022