The total number of cash payments made by consumers, businesses and financial organisations in the UK fell to 48% last year, marking the first time that non-cash payments have exceeded those made with cash, the Payments Council reports. Some 52% of consumers continued to use cash for more than half of their transactions in 2014, however, and “there is no prediction for cash to disappear”.
- Thinfilm raises US$110m to support growth in NFC market
- Facebook Messenger adds PayPal P2P payments
- Mastercard to eliminate signature verification at the point of sale
- The Clearing House to secure real-time payments system with tokenization
- Visa makes it easier to integrate emerging authentication technologies