The total number of cash payments made by consumers, businesses and financial organisations in the UK fell to 48% last year, marking the first time that non-cash payments have exceeded those made with cash, the Payments Council reports. Some 52% of consumers continued to use cash for more than half of their transactions in 2014, however, and “there is no prediction for cash to disappear”.
- ABN Amro pilots wearable payments with select customers
- Danske Bank brings Apple Pay to customers in Northern Ireland
- Dankort gets lockscreen mobile payments and Touch ID support
- Punchh brings Apple Pay to restaurant loyalty program
- East London gets local currency built on the blockchain