NXP engineers Franz Amtmann and Philippe Maugars have won the European Patent Office (EPO) European Inventor Award in recognition of the role they played in the birth of NFC. The pair were nominated in April for the prize which aims to reward inventors who contribute to technological progress and economic growth. Three previous finalists have gone on to collect Nobel Prizes.
- Apple makes NFC tag reading available for beta testing
- Sydney man has Opal card implanted into hand to make catching public transport easier
- Beijing subway launches smartphone version of travel card
- Scotiabank adds multi-loyalty programs to mobile banking apps
- Urban Airship analysis of retailers’ mobile wallet coupons and loyalty cards reveals widespread peer-to-peer sharing