Shipments of fingerprint sensors for smartphones are expected to reach 1bn units by 2020, representing a 17% compound annual growth rate (CAGR), according to ABI Research. “Other biometric modalities like face, voice and eye-based recognition are currently moving out of the fledgling phase and are to be integrated as highly-secure — albeit more expensive — biometric capabilities in smartphone devices with a five-year CAGR revenue growth of 144%,” the company says.
- Amazon begins delivering parcels to consumers’ cars
- Copenhagen Business School lets students make payments with just their finger — no card or smartphone required
- Contactless payments are now used for half of all public transport journeys in London
- Samsung Pay to go live in South Africa in June
- Walmart files blockchain payments data storage patents