Shipments of fingerprint sensors for smartphones are expected to reach 1bn units by 2020, representing a 17% compound annual growth rate (CAGR), according to ABI Research. “Other biometric modalities like face, voice and eye-based recognition are currently moving out of the fledgling phase and are to be integrated as highly-secure — albeit more expensive — biometric capabilities in smartphone devices with a five-year CAGR revenue growth of 144%,” the company says.
- Rambus publishes quick guide to Apple Pay
- Chinese banks roll out face recognition at the ATM
- Germany’s central bank reports on potential of blockchain for payments
- NXP releases NFC tag toolkit for iOS
- Banks back government-led Taiwan Pay QR payments service