Nearly 1.6bn coupons will be delivered annually to consumers via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacons by 2020, up from 11m this year, Juniper Research predicts. “However, the research cautioned that the use of beacon technology was very much a work in progress, with many retailers concerned that excessive, indiscriminate messages pushed by the beacon could be perceived as intrusive and damage their relationship with the customer,” the research firm says.
- eMarketer: Mobile payments adoption held back by ‘strong contactless card usage’ in Europe
- Korean card companies to launch joint NFC payments service in bid to combat Chinese QR threat
- Wells Fargo puts AI into mobile app to help customers manage their money
- Apple CEO: Mobile payments taking off more slowly than expected
- Microsoft sets out vision for a blockchain-based infrastructure that lets consumers manage their own digital identities