Nearly 1.6bn coupons will be delivered annually to consumers via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacons by 2020, up from 11m this year, Juniper Research predicts. “However, the research cautioned that the use of beacon technology was very much a work in progress, with many retailers concerned that excessive, indiscriminate messages pushed by the beacon could be perceived as intrusive and damage their relationship with the customer,” the research firm says.
- Messaging app Line reports 40m mobile payment users
- Hong Kong transit operator to test WeChat Pay and Alipay
- UK government expands open banking project to credit cards, e-wallets and prepaid cards
- UK consumers want to set their own contactless transaction limit
- Swiss consumers to get single digital ID