Handset maker Xiaomi has filed a patent in Korea for a mobile payment service called Xiaomi Pay, The Korea Herald reports. “There is speculation that Xiaomi’s upcoming mid-range smartphone Mi5 will feature the NFC mobile payment service,” the publication says. “The patent filing in the Korean market indicates that the Chinese tech firm plans to roll out its smartphone here.” The Mi5 was unveiled during Mobile World Congress and is equipped with NXP’s secure element and NFC solution.
- Apple marks Earth Day with Apple Pay donations
- WeChat Pay and offline mobile payments see “incredibly high” uptake in China
- Visa EMV transactions pass 1bn in the US
- Singapore banks add in-store QR code payments to mobile apps
- US Bank ties credit card points to mobile payments