The global value of NFC mobile and wearable payments is expected to reach US$95bn annually by 2018, up from less than $35bn last year, according to Juniper Research. “Apple’s entry into NFC gave the industry a much needed boost and could well be seen as the tipping point for the technology,” says the firm’s Nitin Bhas.
- Guess unveils fashion watches with contactless payment bands
- The world’s biggest electronics store uses NFC tags to let shoppers self-checkout on their mobile phones
- Singtel adds Apple Pay to Dash mobile wallet
- Tesco to roll out high value contactless transactions
- Tech firms to explore next gen payment cards that combine fingerprint sensors with digital displays