“Cash is still the most prominent payment method for UK consumers and global demand for coins is as strong as ever,” says The Royal Mint in response to research conducted by UK supermarket chain The Co-Op that predicted mobile payments will account for 65% of its transactions by 2025. “The demise of cash has been predicted for a long time but it remains the currency option the general public turns to for confidence, convenience and security,” the government-owned company adds.
- NFC World launches Go to Market service for innovative technology suppliers
- Google includes support for FeliCa NFC payments in Pixel 3 smartphones
- Standard Chartered unveils IoT payments platform that automatically triggers a payment when a connected product arrives at a destination
- Commonwealth Bank to test ‘smart money’ that knows what it can be spent on
- Alipay: Hackers have used stolen Apple IDs to lift funds from mobile wallets