“Cash is still the most prominent payment method for UK consumers and global demand for coins is as strong as ever,” says The Royal Mint in response to research conducted by UK supermarket chain The Co-Op that predicted mobile payments will account for 65% of its transactions by 2025. “The demise of cash has been predicted for a long time but it remains the currency option the general public turns to for confidence, convenience and security,” the government-owned company adds.
- Garmin Pay expands to three new smartwatches
- Barclays files blockchain funds transfer and KYC patents
- More than half a billion Chinese consumers now use mobile payments
- Mastercard patent proposes combining blockchain with existing payments systems
- Shoppers prefer Apple Pay over Walmart Pay