UK-based mobile payment and rewards platform Droplet is to be discontinued. “We never got to the scale to make Droplet viable as a profit-making business,” CEO Steffan Aquarone says. “We will now be seeking a buyer for the technology, support materials and know-how we’ve built.” British brewer Adnams launched Droplet in 12 stores and 50 pubs in April 2015. More than 100 retailers in Norwich teamed up with the company for a mobile payment loyalty scheme in September.
- Apple to open up the iPhone’s NFC chip at WWDC?
- Alipay to invest $448m promoting face recognition payments in stores
- Visa unveils next generation payments platform
- German central banker calls for European payments network
- JCPenney pulls support for contactless payments