German technology provider Wirecard has launched an app allowing European retailers to accept Alipay QR code mobile payments from Chinese tourists. “Retailers will soon be able to download the Scan Alipay iOS app from the app store,” Wirecard says. “An Android version will follow in the course of this year. The app will be taken up predominantly by catering establishments and clothing retailers.” Wirecard began rolling out support for Alipay mobile payments across Europe in December 2015. In June 2016 it was reported that Alipay is in talks to negotiate a 25% stake in Wirecard.
- Google Pay goes live in Italy
- Pulse reports on US uptake of mobile debit card payments
- Bank of America brings mobile payments to business card customers
- OP Financial tests face recognition for payments in stores
- Singapore begins rollout of QR code that works with multiple mobile payment schemes