A quarter of UK consumers are making NFC mobile purchases or would like to do so in the future, research by Mastercard reveals, with the figure increasing to 45% for those aged 25 to 34. More than two in five are ready to give up carrying cash completely, with 40% attributing their reduced use of traditional currency to wider acceptance of contactless payments. “Some 44% of consumers claim they would ditch notes and coins altogether if card payments were accepted everywhere,” Mastercard says.
- Garmin Pay expands to three new smartwatches
- Barclays files blockchain funds transfer and KYC patents
- More than half a billion Chinese consumers now use mobile payments
- Mastercard patent proposes combining blockchain with existing payments systems
- Shoppers prefer Apple Pay over Walmart Pay