A quarter of UK consumers are making NFC mobile purchases or would like to do so in the future, research by Mastercard reveals, with the figure increasing to 45% for those aged 25 to 34. More than two in five are ready to give up carrying cash completely, with 40% attributing their reduced use of traditional currency to wider acceptance of contactless payments. “Some 44% of consumers claim they would ditch notes and coins altogether if card payments were accepted everywhere,” Mastercard says.
- New iPhones and Apple Watch to support NFC-F for FeliCa payments around the world
- Swarovski lets shoppers make payments in VR
- Cambridge academics report on cryptocurrency market status
- Central Bank of Uruguay to run mobile currency pilot
- Mastercard applies for blockchain B2B payments patent