Chinese mobile payments giant Alipay is targeting 2bn users globally in the next decade, the company’s Douglas Feagin has revealed at Money20/20 in Las Vegas. “Our goal is to expand our business from 450m users in China to over 2bn worldwide over the next decade,” Feagin says. “We want to achieve over one million merchants outside of China over the next several years.” Alipay is expanding its presence in US and European retail stores via a deal with POS maker Verifone. A similar deal with First Data has also been unveiled, allowing Chinese consumers to shop at select locations in California and New York from next month.
- Six more Amazon Go stores to open this year?
- 768m Chinese used WeChat to send a red packet money gift this New Year
- One in four Europeans ready to make payments with a wearable device
- IoTize picks ST NFC chip for plug’n’play IoT connectivity
- Dubai drivers use NFC phones to top up parking purses on contactless transit cards