Chinese mobile payments giant Alipay is targeting 2bn users globally in the next decade, the company’s Douglas Feagin has revealed at Money20/20 in Las Vegas. “Our goal is to expand our business from 450m users in China to over 2bn worldwide over the next decade,” Feagin says. “We want to achieve over one million merchants outside of China over the next several years.” Alipay is expanding its presence in US and European retail stores via a deal with POS maker Verifone. A similar deal with First Data has also been unveiled, allowing Chinese consumers to shop at select locations in California and New York from next month.
- Australian banks set to abandon Apple Pay boycott
- Tappy Christmas! Save the Children raises money with contactless jumpers
- Bayern Munich adds NFC ticketing for Apple users at Allianz Arena
- Barclays lets customers use their mobile banking app to restrict the type of stores their card can be used in
- Guess unveils fashion watches with contactless payment bands