Chinese mobile payments giant Alipay is targeting 2bn users globally in the next decade, the company’s Douglas Feagin has revealed at Money20/20 in Las Vegas. “Our goal is to expand our business from 450m users in China to over 2bn worldwide over the next decade,” Feagin says. “We want to achieve over one million merchants outside of China over the next several years.” Alipay is expanding its presence in US and European retail stores via a deal with POS maker Verifone. A similar deal with First Data has also been unveiled, allowing Chinese consumers to shop at select locations in California and New York from next month.
- India to rank states on digital transactions
- HSBC to launch Hong Kong P2P mobile payments app
- Indian mobile wallet adds healthcare services
- Singapore commuters to get NFC-enabled transport payment wearables
- Call to ‘digitise Indian rupee’ using blockchain