Chinese mobile payments giant Alipay is targeting 2bn users globally in the next decade, the company’s Douglas Feagin has revealed at Money20/20 in Las Vegas. “Our goal is to expand our business from 450m users in China to over 2bn worldwide over the next decade,” Feagin says. “We want to achieve over one million merchants outside of China over the next several years.” Alipay is expanding its presence in US and European retail stores via a deal with POS maker Verifone. A similar deal with First Data has also been unveiled, allowing Chinese consumers to shop at select locations in California and New York from next month.
- Cambridge academics report on cryptocurrency market status
- Central Bank of Uruguay to run mobile currency pilot
- Mastercard applies for blockchain B2B payments patent
- Walmart tests smart lock delivery service
- Chinese consumers ready to go out without cash