Mastercard will launch its biometric identity verification system across North America in the first half of 2017, with Canadian bank BMO Financial Group the first to offer the service to its corporate customers. Identity Check Mobile was soft launched earlier this year, and uses fingerprint and facial recognition to verify a cardholder’s identity. “Moving this technology beyond the pilot phase is a significant milestone in the evolution of payments,” says Ajay Bhalla from Mastercard. The service was rolled out in 12 European countries earlier this month.
- Meet NFC World’s partners at Mobile World Congress
- Survey: India now has a higher percentage of citizens with a mobile wallet than China
- Alipay users sent red packets worth $79m during Chinese New Year
- Apple Pay users doubled in 2017 to 127m, says top analyst
- Six more Amazon Go stores to open this year?