Mobile payments now account for a quarter (25%) of all transactions processed in Starbucks stores across the US, with Mobile Order and Pay transactions representing 6% of the total, reaching 7% in September 2016. “Approximately 3,300 of our stores are handling 10% of their orders at peak through Mobile Order and Pay,” COO Kevin Johnson told investors during the coffee chain’s Q4 earnings call. “In 600 stores, Mobile Order and Pay represents over 20% of orders at peak, triple the number from last year.” The service was rolled out across the US in September 2015.
- Apple extends GymKit NFC functionality to additional gym equipment market leaders
- NFC testing disruptor Cilab joins the NFC World Partner Program
- Japanese government to adopt iPhone NFC chip reading for citizen ID
- Imperial College develops NFC tag-based freshness detection system to reduce food waste
- European mobile wallets adopt Alipay QR code format to boost payment interoperability