UK consumers can make a donation to The Royal British Legion’s Poppy Appeal by tapping their contactless card or NFC device against contactless donation tins in 13 branches of UK bank Natwest. The tins are being trialled in collaboration with Worldpay and Thyngs. “One tin, developed by Worldpay, doubles up as a contactless terminal charging £2 (US$2.48) per tap,” Worldpay says. “Another will feature Thyngs Styckers which uses mobile phone technology to instantly direct mobile users to a dedicated donation page.” Mobile donations are currently being trialled, with contactless card donations set to be piloted next week.
- ECB survey finds cash still dominates payments in the euro zone
- Bangkok street food vendors switch to mobile payments
- Starling Bank integrates third party rewards into open banking platform
- Sberbank to build ID platform that supports face, voice and retina biometrics
- Messaging app Line reports 40m mobile payment users