There are now 388.8m Visa EMV cards circulating in the US, 180.6m of which are credit cards and 208.3m debit cards, the payment network has revealed. “More than 1.7m merchants are now accepting chip cards, a 191% increase in the last year,” the company says. “There were more than three quarters of a billion Visa chip transactions in October, a 453% increase over last year. Chip-ready merchants now represent 41% of Visa’s in-store payment volume.” The US became Visa’s largest chip card market in the world last month.
- App offers order ahead restaurant service
- Facebook given licence to launch Messenger payments in Europe
- NFC clothing range connects US Ski Team with winter sports fans
- Google’s browser connects with BLE
- Belgian bank joins mobile payment platform