There are now 388.8m Visa EMV cards circulating in the US, 180.6m of which are credit cards and 208.3m debit cards, the payment network has revealed. “More than 1.7m merchants are now accepting chip cards, a 191% increase in the last year,” the company says. “There were more than three quarters of a billion Visa chip transactions in October, a 453% increase over last year. Chip-ready merchants now represent 41% of Visa’s in-store payment volume.” The US became Visa’s largest chip card market in the world last month.
- ABN Amro pilots wearable payments with select customers
- Danske Bank brings Apple Pay to customers in Northern Ireland
- Dankort gets lockscreen mobile payments and Touch ID support
- Punchh brings Apple Pay to restaurant loyalty program
- East London gets local currency built on the blockchain