ATM manufacturer Diebold Nixdorf and Australian banking services provider Cuscal are using beacon technology to deliver personalised marketing offers to people as they approach cash machines or bank branches. Cuscal is testing the technology, which involves using beacons to deliver messages via bluetooth to smartphones including specific apps. The aim is to identify how effective such marketing is during what is described as the ‘approach phase’ of the consumer experience, rather than the ‘transact phase’ once a card has been inserted in an ATM.
- Chinese province uses Alipay QR codes for citizen ID
- Facebook to launch Messenger payments in India
- Walmart equips garden centre staff with mobile checkout devices
- Chevrolet and Shell let drivers pay for fuel and access offers from their vehicles
- US supermarket chain Meijer to launch mobile self-checkout service